名著·八十天环绕地球 - 第30节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  这时已经是八点钟了,预计九点半钟满潮,卡尔纳蒂克号要趁着满潮出海。轿子到了俱乐部大饭店门口,福克先生和艾娥达夫人一齐坐上了这种舒适的交通工具,后面紧跟着一辆小车子,拉着他们的行李。半个小时后,他们到了轮船码头,下了轿子,这时福克先生才知道卡尔纳蒂克号昨天晚上已经开走了。福克先生本来打算能一举两得,既找到了船,又找到了路路通。可是没想到两头儿都落了空。但是,他脸上却一点失望的表情也没有,而艾娥达夫人一直不安地看着他,于是,他对她只好这样说:“这是个意外,夫人,没什么。”

   At this moment a man who had been observing him attentively approached. It was Fix, who, bowing, addressed Mr. Fogg: "Were you not, like me, sir, a passenger by the Rangoon, which arrived yesterday?"

  就在这时候,旁边有一个人,这个人一直在留神看着福克先生,现在走到他跟前来了。这人就是警察厅的密探费克斯。他跟福克先生打了个招呼,说:“您先生不是跟我一样昨天乘仰光号到香港来的旅客吗?”

   "I was, sir," replied Mr. Fogg coldly. "But I have not the honour--"

  “是的,先生,”福克冷冰冰地说,“可是我还没请教您是……”

   "Pardon me; I thought I should find your servant here."

  “请您原谅,我不过是想希望在这儿能碰到您的仆人。”

   "Do you know where he is, sir?" asked Aouda anxiously.

  “先生,您知道他现在在什么地方吗?”艾娥达夫人着急地问。

  “怎么着?”费克斯装着吃惊的样子说,“他没跟你们在一块儿吗?”

   "No," said Aouda. "He has not made his appearance since yesterday. Could he have gone on board the Carnatic without us?"

  “没有,”艾娥达夫人说,“从昨天起他就不见了,他难道会不等我们自己就上船走了?”

   "Without you, madam?" answered the detective. "Excuse me, did you intend to sail in the Carnatic?"

  “他会不等你们吗,夫人?”侦探说,“不过,请允许我问一句,你们是不是预备乘这条船走的?”

   "Yes, sir."

  “是的,先生。”

   "So did I, madam, and I am excessively disappointed. The Carnatic, its repairs being completed, left Hong Kong twelve hours before the stated time, without any notice being given; and we must now wait a week for another steamer."

  “我也是的,夫人,您看我这一下儿真给弄得狼狈极了。卡尔纳蒂克号修好了锅炉,谁也不通知,就提早了十二小时开出了香港。现在就只好再等八天,搭下一班的船了!”

  费克斯讲到“八天”这两个字的时候,心里感到十分痛快。八天!福克得在香港待八天!等拘票的时间是足足有余了。他这位国家法律的代表人今天总算是交了好运了。可是当他听到斐利亚·福克镇静地说出下面一句话的时候,我们可以猜想,那对费克斯是多么狠的当头一棒呵!“可是我觉得除了卡尔纳蒂克号,在香港的港口上还有别的船。”

   And, offering his arm to Aouda, he directed his steps toward the docks in search of some craft about to start.

  说完这句话,福克先生就让艾娥达夫人挽着自己的手臂,一齐走向船坞去找其他就要开出的轮船。

   Fix, stupefied, followed; it seemed as if he were attached to Mr. Fogg by an invisible thread. Chance, however, appeared really to have abandoned the man it had hitherto served so well. For three hours Phileas Fogg wandered about the docks, with the determination, if necessary, to charter a vessel to carry him to Yokohama; but he could only find vessels which were loading or unloading, and which could not therefore set sail. Fix began to hope again.

  费克斯不知如何是好,紧紧跟在后面,看起来就象是福克手上有一根线牵着他似的。福克先生从伦敦出发以来一直都在走好运,可是现在好运象是真的走完了。他在港口上到处找,整整跑了三个小时,他决定如果万不得已就租一条船去横滨;但是他看到的一些船不是正在装货就是正在卸货,当然不能够马上就开。于是费克斯觉得又有指望了。

   But Mr. Fogg, far from being discouraged, was continuing his search, resolved not to stop if he had to resort to Macao, when he was accosted by a sailor on one of the wharves.

  但是福克先生并不慌乱,他继续找船,他甚至打算到澳门去找。正在这个时候,他在港口上看见迎面来了一个海员。

   "Is your honour looking for a boat?"

  “先生,您找船吗?”这个海员脱下帽子向福克先生说。

  “有就要开的船吗?”福克先生问。

   "Yes, your honour; a pilot-boat--No. 43--the best in the harbour."

  “是呵,先生,有一条43号引水船,它是我们船队里最好的一条船。”

   "Does she go fast?"

  “它走得快吗?”

   "Between eight and nine knots the hour. Will you look at her?"

  “每小时至少可以跑八九海里,您愿意看看吗?”

   "Yes."

  “好。”

  “您一定会满意的。您是要坐船到海上去玩玩吗?”

   "No; for a voyage."

  “不,我要坐船旅行。”

   "A voyage?"

  “旅行?”

   "Yes, will you agree to take me to Yokohama?"

  “你能把我送到横滨吗?”

   The sailor leaned on the railing, opened his eyes wide, and said, "Is your honour joking?"

  海员听了这句话,不自觉地晃动着下垂的两臂,一双眼睛睁得滚圆。“先生,您是开玩笑吧?”海员问。

  “不是开玩笑!卡尔纳蒂克号开了,我没赶上。我必须在十四号以前到横滨,因为我要赶上开往旧金山的船。”

   "I am sorry," said the sailor; "but it is impossible."

  “抱歉得很,”海员说,“这可没办法。”

   "I offer you a hundred pounds per day, and an additional reward of two hundred pounds if I reach Yokohama in time."

  “我每天给你一百英镑(二千五百金法郎)的船费,如果你能按时赶到,我再给你两百英镑的奖金。”

   "Are you in earnest?"

  “这话是真的?”海员问。

   "Very much so."

  “完全是真的。”福克先生说。

  海员走到一旁,望着大海,显然他是为了赚这样一大笔钱和害怕冒险跑那么远的路这两件事进行思想斗争。这时,费克斯待在一旁,心里象有十五个吊桶打水似的七上八下。

   Mr. Fogg turned to Aouda and asked her, "You would not be afraid, would you, madam?"

  福克先生这时转过身来问艾娥达夫人:“坐这条船您不害怕吗,夫人?”

   "Not with you, Mr. Fogg," was her answer.

  “跟您在一起,我是不会害怕的,福克先生,”艾娥达夫人说。

   The pilot now returned, shuffling his hat in his hands.

  海员两只手转弄着帽子,重新挨近福克先生。

   "Well, pilot?" said Mr. Fogg.

  “怎么样,海员先生?”福克先生问。

  “怎么样,先生,”海员说,“我不能拿我的船员和我,还有您去冒这个险。这么远的路,我这条船只不过二十吨,又赶上这个时令。再说,您的时间也赶不上,从香港到横滨足足一千六百五十海里呵。”“只有一千六百海里,”福克先生说。

   "It's the same thing."

  “反正都是一样。”

   Fix breathed more freely.

  费克斯这时候大大地松了一口气。

   "But," added the pilot, "it might be arranged another way."

  “不过,”海员接着说,“也许还能想个别的办法。”

   Fix ceased to breathe at all.

  费克斯又紧张了。

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·八十天环绕地球 - 第30节