名著·简.爱 - 第70节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  我什么也没有说。

   "You have seen love: have you not?--and, looking forward, you haveseen him married, and beheld his bride happy?""

  你看到了爱,不是吗,而且往前一看,你看到他们结了婚,看到了他的新娘快乐吗?"

   "Humph! Not exactly. Your witch's skill is rather at faultsometimes.""

  哼!不完全如此。有时候你的巫技也会出差错。"

   "What the devil have you seen, then?""

  那么你到底看到了什么?"

   "Never mind: I came here to inquire, not to confess. Is it knownthat Mr. Rochester is to be married?""

  你别管了,我是来询问,不是来表白的,不是谁都知道罗切斯特先生要结婚了吗?"

  是的,同漂亮的英格拉姆小姐。"

   "Shortly?""

  马上?"

   "Appearances would warrant that conclusion: and, no doubt (though,with an audacity that wants chastising out of you, you seem toquestion it), they will be a superlatively happy pair. He must lovesuch a handsome, noble, witty, accomplished lady; and probably sheloves him, or, if not his person, at least his purse. I know sheconsiders the Rochester estate eligible to the last degree; though(God pardon me!) I told her something on that point about an hourago which made her look wondrous grave: the corners of her mouthfell half an inch. I would advise her blackaviced suitor to lookout: if another comes, with a longer or clearer rent-roll,--he'sdished--""

  种种迹象将证实这一结论(虽然你真该挨揍,竟敢大胆提出疑问),毫无疑问,他们会是无比快乐的一对。他一定会喜爱这样一位美丽、高贵、风趣、多才多艺的小姐,而很可能她也爱他,要不如果不是爱他本人,至少爱他的钱包。我知道她认为罗切斯特家的财产是十分合意的(上帝宽恕我),虽然一小时之前我在这事儿上给她透了点风,她听了便沉下了脸,嘴角挂下了半英寸。我会劝她的黑脸求婚者小心为是,要是又来个求婚的人,房租地租的收入更丰,--那他就完蛋--"

   "But, mother, I did not come to hear Mr. Rochester's fortune: Icame to hear my own; and you have told me nothing of it.""

  可是,大妈,我不是来听你替罗切斯特先生算命的,我来听你算我的命,你却一点也没有谈过呢。",

   "Your fortune is yet doubtful: when I examined your face, one traitcontradicted another. Chance has meted you a measure of happiness:that I know. I knew it before I came here this evening. She haslaid it carefully on one side for you. I saw her do it. It dependson yourself to stretch out your hand, and take it up: but whetheryou will do so, is the problem I study. ""

  你的命运还很难确定。我看了你的脸相,各个特征都相互矛盾。命运赐给了你一份幸福,这我知道,是我今晚来这里之前晓得的。她已经小心翼翼地替你把幸福放在一边,我看见她这么干的。现在就看你自己伸手去把它抢起来了,不过你是否愿意这么做,是我要琢磨的问题。

  说得好,前额,你的宣言将得到尊重。我已经订好了计划--我认为是正确的计划--内中我照应到良心的要求,理智的忠告。我明白在端上来的幸福之杯中,只要发现一块耻辱的沉渣,一丝悔恨之情,青春就会很快逝去,花朵就会立即凋零。而我不要牺牲、悲伤和死亡--这些不合我的口味。我希望培植,不希望摧残--希望赢得感激,而不是拧出血泪来--不,不是泪水;我的收获必须是微笑、抚慰和甜蜜--这样才行。我想我是在美梦中呓语,我真想把眼前这一刻adinfinitum延长,但我不敢。到现在为止,我自我控制得很好,像心里暗暗发誓的那样行动,但是再演下去也许要经受一场非我力所能及的考验。起来,爱小姐,离开我吧,'戏已经演完了'。"

   Where was I? Did I wake or sleep? Had I been dreaming? Did Idream still? The old woman's voice had changed: her accent, hergesture, and all were familiar to me as my own face in a glass--asthe speech of my own tongue. I got up, but did not go. I looked; Istirred the fire, and I looked again: but she drew her bonnet andher bandage closer about her face, and again beckoned me to depart.The flame illuminated her hand stretched out: roused now, and onthe alert for discoveries, I at once noticed that hand. It was nomore the withered limb of eld than my own; it was a rounded supplemember, with smooth fingers, symmetrically turned; a broad ringflashed on the little finger, and stooping forward, I looked at it,and saw a gem I had seen a hundred times before. Again I looked atthe face; which was no longer turned from me--on the contrary, thebonnet was doffed, the bandage displaced, the head advanced.

  我在哪儿呢?是醒着还是睡着了?我一直在做梦吗?此刻还在做?这老太婆已换了嗓门。她的口音、她的手势、她的一切,就象镜中我自己的面孔,也象我口中说的话,我都非常熟悉。我立起身来,但并没有走,我瞧了瞧,拨了拨火,再瞧了她一下,但是她把帽子和绷带拉得紧贴在脸上,而且再次摆手让我走。火焰照亮了她伸出的手。这时我已清醒,一心想发现什么,立即注意到了这只手。跟我的手一样,这不是只老年人干枯的手,它丰满柔软,手指光滑而匀称,一个粗大的戒指在小手指上闪闪发光。我弯腰凑过去细瞧了一下,看到了一块我以前见过上百次的宝石。我再次打量了那张脸,这回可没有避开我--相反,帽子脱了,绷带也扯了,脑袋伸向了我。

   "Well, Jane, do you know me?" asked the familiar voice."

  嗨,简,你认识我吗?"那熟悉的口音问。

   "Only take off the red cloak, sir, and then--""

  你只要脱下红色的斗篷,先生,那就--"

   "But the string is in a knot--help me.""

  可是这绳子打了结--帮我一下。"

  扯断它,先生。"

   "There, then--'Off, ye lendings!'" And Mr. Rochester stepped out ofhis disguise."

  好吧,那么--""脱下来,你们这些身外之物!"罗切斯特先生脱去了伪装。

   "Now, sir, what a strange idea!""

  哦,先生,这是个多奇怪的主意!"

   "But well carried out, eh? Don't you think so?""

  不过干得很好,嗯?你不这样想吗?"

   "With the ladies you must have managed well.""

  对付女士们,你也许应付得很好。"

  但对你不行?"

   "You did not act the character of a gipsy with me.""

  你并没对我扮演吉卜赛人的角色。"

   "What character did I act? My own?""

  我演了什么角色啦?我自己吗?"

   "No; some unaccountable one. In short, I believe you have beentrying to draw me out--or in; you have been talking nonsense to makeme talk nonsense. It is scarcely fair, sir.""

  不,某个无法理解的人物。总之,我相信你一直要把我的话套出来,--或者把我也扯进去。你一直在胡说八道为的是让我也这样,这很难说是公平的,先生。"

   "Do you forgive me, Jane?""

  你宽恕我吗,简?"

  我要仔细想想后才能回答。如果经过考虑我觉得自己并没有干出荒唐的事来,那我会努力宽恕你的,不过这样做不对。"

   "Oh, you have been very correct--very careful, very sensible.""

  呵,你刚才一直做得很对--非常谨慎,非常明智。"

   I reflected, and thought, on the whole, I had. It was a comfort;but, indeed, I had been on my guard almost from the beginning of theinterview. Something of masquerade I suspected. I knew gipsies andfortune-tellers did not express themselves as this seeming old womanhad expressed herself;

  我沉思了一下,大体认为自己是这样。那是一种愉快。不过说实在一与他见面我便已存戒心,怀疑是一种假面游戏,我知道吉卜赛人和算命的人的谈吐,不像那个假老太婆。

   "Well," said he, "what are you musing about? What does that gravesmile signify?""

  好吧,"他说,"你呆呆地在想什么呀?那严肃的笑容是什么意思?"

   "Wonder and self-congratulation, sir. I have your permission toretire now, I suppose?""

  惊讶和庆幸,先生。我想,现在你可以允许我离开了吧?"

  不,再呆一会儿。告诉我那边会客室里的人在干什么?"

   "Discussing the gipsy, I daresay.""

  我想是在议论那个吉卜赛人。"

   "Sit down!--Let me hear what they said about me.""

  坐下,坐下!--讲给我听听他们说我什么啦?"

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·简.爱 - 第70节