名著·茶花女 - 第20节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  “我们在这儿等吧。”

   'I won't have it.'

  “那不行。”

   'In that case, we'll come with you.'

  “那我们跟您一起去。”

   'That's even more out of the question.'

  “那更不行。”

   'I know Marguerite, 'said Gaston, ' it's perfectly all right for me to drop in to pay my respects.'

  “我认识玛格丽特,”加斯东说,“我当然可以去拜访她。”

  “但是阿尔芒不认识她呀!”

   'I shall introduce him.'

  “我替他介绍。”

   'Impossible.'

  “那怎么行呢?”

   Once more we heard Marguerite's voice still calling Prudence.

  我们又听到玛格丽特的叫声,她一直在叫普律当丝。

   Prudence ran into her dressing- room. I followed with Gaston. She opened the window.

  普律当丝跑进她的梳妆间,我和加斯东也跟了进去,她打开了窗户。

  我们两人躲了起来,不让外面的人看见。

   'I've been calling you for ten minutes, 'said Marguerite from her window in a tone that verged on the peremptory.

  “我叫了您有十分钟了,”玛格丽特在窗口说,口气几乎有些生硬。

   'What do you want with me?'

  “您叫我干吗?”

   'I want you to come at once.'

  “我要您马上就来。”

   'Why?'

  “为什么?”

  “因为N伯爵还赖在这儿,我简直被他烦死了。”

   'I can't just now.'

  “我现在走不开。”

   'What's stopping you?'

  “有谁拦着您啦?”

   'I've got two young men here who won't go away.'

  “我家里有两个年轻人,他们不肯走。”

   'Tell them you've got to go out.'

  “对他们讲您非出去不可。”

  “我已经跟他们讲过了。”

   'Well, they can stay there; when they see you've gone, they'll leave.'

  “那么,就让他们留在您家里好啦;他们看见您出去以后,就会走的。”

   'After turning the place upside down?'

  “他们会把我家里搞翻天的!”

   'But what do they want?'

  “那么他们想干什么?”

   'They want to see you.'

  “他们想来看您。”

  “他们叫什么名字?”

   'You know one of them, Monsieur Gaston R.'

  “有一位是您认识的,他叫R·加斯东先生。”

   'Ah, yes, I know him; and the other?'

  “啊!是的,我认识他;另一位呢?”

   'Monsieur Armand Duval. Don't you know him?'

  “阿尔芒·迪瓦尔先生。您不认识他吗?”

   'No; but bring them all the same. Anything would be better than the Count. I shall be waiting for you, so hurry.'

  “不认识;不过您带他们一起来吧,他们总比伯爵好些。 我等着您,快来吧。”

  玛格丽特又关上窗户,普律当丝也把窗户闭上了。

   Marguerite, who had for an instant recalled my face, did not remember my name. I would have been better pleased to be remembered in an unflattering light than forgotten altogether like this.

  玛格丽特刚才曾一度记起了我的面貌,但这会儿却记不起我的名字。我倒宁愿她还记得我,哪怕对我印象不好也没有关系,但不愿意她就这样把我忘了。

   'I knew it, ' said Gaston, 'I knew she'd be delighted to see us.'

  加斯东说:“我早知道她会高兴见到我们的。”

   'Delighted isn't the word, ' answered Prudence, putting on her hat and shawl, 'she'll see you to make the Count go away. Try to be more agreeable than him, or otherwise ?I know Marguerite ?she'll take it out on me.'

  “高兴?恐怕未必。”普律当丝一面披上披肩,戴上帽子,一面回答说,“她接待你们两位是为了赶走伯爵,你们要尽量比伯爵知趣一些,否则的话,我是知道玛格丽特这个人的,她会跟我闹别扭的。”

   We followed Prudence down the stairs.

  我们跟着普律当丝一起下了楼。

  我浑身哆嗦,仿佛预感到这次拜访会在我的一生中产生巨大的影响。

   I was even more apprehensive than the evening I had been introduced in the box at the Opera-Comique.

  我很激动,比那次在喜剧歌剧院包厢里被介绍给她的时候还要激动。

   When we arrived at the door of the apartment with which you are acquainted, my heart was beating so loud that I could not think.

  当走到您已认得的那座房子门前时,我的心怦怦直跳,脑子里已经糊里糊涂了。

   A few chords from a piano reached our ears.

  我们听到传来几下钢琴和音的声音。

   Prudence rang the bell.

  普律当丝伸手去拉门铃。

  琴声顿时停了下来。

   A woman, who looked rather more like a lady's companion than a maid, opened the door to us.

  一个女人出来开门,这个女人看上去与其说像一个女用人,倒不如说更像一个雇来的女伴。

   We passed through the drawing- room, and from the drawing-room into the parlour, which was at that time exactly as you have seen it since.

  我们穿过大客厅,来到小客厅,就是您后来看到的那间小客厅。

   A young man was leaning against the mantelpiece.

  一个年轻人靠着壁炉站在那里。

   Marguerite, seated at the piano, was letting her fingers run over the keys, starting more pieces than she finished.

  玛格丽特坐在钢琴前面,懒洋洋地在琴键上一遍又一遍地弹着她那弹不下去的曲子。

  房间里的气氛很沉闷,男的是因为自己一筹莫展而局促不安,女的是因为这个讨厌的家伙的来访而心情烦躁。

   Hearing Prudence's voice, Marguerite rose to her feet and, coming up to us after first exchanging a look of gratitude with Madame Duvernoy, she said to us:

  一听到普律当丝的声音,玛格丽特站起身来,向她投去一个表示感谢的眼色,她向我们迎上前来,对我们说:

   'Do come in, gentlemen, you are most welcome.'

  “请进,先生们,欢迎光临。”

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·茶花女 - 第20节