名著·八十天环绕地球 - 第4节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  “这我不知道,”安得露·斯图阿特回答说,“可是,无论如何,世界上能去的地方多着哪!”

   "It was once," said Phileas Fogg, in a low tone. "Cut, sir," he added, handing the cards to Thomas Flanagan.

  “那是过去的情况了……”福克小声地说,接着他拿起洗好的牌,向多玛斯·弗拉纳刚说,“该您倒牌,先生。”

   The discussion fell during the rubber, after which Stuart took up its thread.

  打牌的时候,争论暂时中止。可是不久,安得露·斯图阿特又扯起来了,他说:

   "What do you mean by `once'? Has the world grown smaller?"

  “什么,那是过去的情况!?难道现在地球缩小了?”

   "Certainly," returned Ralph. "I agree with Mr. Fogg. The world has grown smaller, since a man can now go round it ten times more quickly than a hundred years ago. And that is why the search for this thief will be more likely to succeed."

  “的确如此,”高杰·弱夫说,“我的看法跟福克先生一样,地球是缩小了。如今环游地球一周,比起一百年前,速度要加快十倍!这就使我们所谈的这件案子破案的速度加快了。”

  “那个贼逃跑起来,岂不照样也更方便了吗!”

   "Be so good as to play, Mr. Stuart," said Phileas Fogg.

  “斯图阿特先生,该您出牌!”福克说。

   But the incredulous Stuart was not convinced, and when the hand was finished, said eagerly: "You have a strange way, Ralph, of proving that the world has grown smaller. So, because you can go round it in three months--"

  可是固执的斯图阿特仍旧不服输。一局牌打完,他又扯起来了:“弱夫先生,您应该承认,地球缩小了,这是一种开玩笑的说法!您所以这样说,是因为如今花三个月的时间就能绕地球一周……”

   "In eighty days," interrupted Phileas Fogg.

  “只要八十天,”福克接着说。

   "That is true, gentlemen," added John Sullivan. "Only eighty days, now that the section between Rothal and Allahabad, on the Great Indian Peninsula Railway, has been opened. Here is the estimate made by the Daily Telegraph:

  “事实上也是这样,先生们,”约翰·苏里万插嘴说。“自从大印度半岛铁路的柔佐到阿拉哈巴德段通车以来,八十天足够了。您瞧,《每日晨报》上还登了一张时间表:

  自伦敦至苏伊士途经悉尼山与布林迪西(火车、船)…… ................. 7 days From Suez to Bombay, by steamer 7天自苏伊士至孟买(船)……………………………………….................... 13 " From Bombay to Calcutta, by rail13天自孟买至加尔各答(火车)………………………………… ................... 3 " From Calcutta to Hong Kong, by steamer .............3天自加尔各答至中国香港(船)……………………………… 13 " From Hong Kong to Yokohama (Japan), by steamer ..... 13天自香港至日本横滨(船)……………………………………6 " From Yokohama to San Francisco, by steamer ......... 6天自横滨至旧金山(船)………………………………………22 " From San Francisco to New York, by rail ............. 22天自旧金山至纽约(火车)……………………………………7 " From New York to London, by steamer and rail ........ 7天自纽约至伦敦(船、火车)…………………………………9 " ---- Total ............................................ 80 days." 9天总计……………………………………………………………80天

   "Yes, in eighty days!" exclaimed Stuart, who in his excitement made a false deal. "But that doesn't take into account bad weather, contrary winds, shipwrecks, railway accidents, and so on."

  “不错,是八十天!”安得露·斯图阿特喊着说。他一不留神出错了一张王牌。接着他又继续说道:“不过,坏天气、顶头风、海船出事、火车出轨等等事故都不计算在内。”

   "All included," returned Phileas Fogg, continuing to play despite the discussion.

  “这些全都算进去了,”福克先生一边说着,一边继续打着牌,这回争论,就顾不得遵守打“惠司脱”必须保持安静的规矩了。

   "But suppose the Hindoos or Indians pull up the rails," replied Stuart; "suppose they stop the trains, pillage the luggage-vans, and scalp the passengers!"

  “可是印度的土人,或者美洲的印第安人会把铁路钢轨撬掉呢,”安得露·斯图阿特嚷着说。“他们会截住火车,抢劫行李,还要剥下旅客的头皮!这您也算上了?”

   "All included," calmly retorted Fogg; adding, as he threw down the cards, "Two trumps."

  “不管发生什么事故,反正八十天都算上了,”福克一面回答,一面把牌放到桌上,接着说:“两张王牌。”

  现在轮到安得露·斯图阿特洗牌,他一面收牌,一面说:“福克先生,您在理论上是对的,可是实际做起来……”

   "Practically also, Mr. Stuart."

  “实际做起来也是八十天,斯图阿特先生。、

   "I'd like to see you do it in eighty days."

  “我倒想看看您怎么做。”

   "It depends on you. Shall we go?"

  “那全凭您的决定,咱们俩可以一道去。”

   "Heaven preserve me! But I would wager four thousand pounds that such a journey, made under these conditions, is impossible."

  “上帝保佑,我才不去呢,那绝不可能!”斯图阿特大声说。“我敢拿四千英镑打赌,八十天内环绕地球一周,是绝对不可能的。”

  “正相反,完全可能。”福克回答说。

   "Well, make it, then!"

  “好吧!那您就试试吧!”

   "The journey round the world in eighty days?"

  “要我八十天绕地球一周?”

   "Yes."

  “是啊。”

   "I should like nothing better."

  “好,我同意。”

  “您什么时候动身?”

   "At once. Only I warn you that I shall do it at your expense."

  “马上动身。不过--我得先跟您说清楚,这笔旅费将来得您拿出来。”

   "It's absurd!" cried Stuart, who was beginning to be annoyed at the persistency of his friend. "Come, let's go on with the game."

  “这简直是发神经了!”安得露·斯图阿特嚷着说,因为福克先生一再坚持争论,他开始沉不住气了。他接着说:“算了,别谈这些了,咱们还是打牌吧。”

   "Deal over again, then," said Phileas Fogg. "There's a false deal."

  “您重新洗牌吧,牌发错了,”福克回答说。

   Stuart took up the pack with a feverish hand; then suddenly put them down again.

  安得露·斯图阿特用他那激动得有些发热的手把牌收起,突然他又把牌往桌上一摊,说:

  “好吧!咱们算说定了,福克先生,我跟您赌四千英镑!……”

   "Calm yourself, my dear Stuart," said Fallentin. "It's only a joke."

  “亲爱的斯图阿特,冷静点吧!”法郎丹劝解说,“大家不过是说着玩的。”

   "When I say I'll wager," returned Stuart, "I mean it." "All right," said Mr. Fogg; and, turning to the others, he continued: "I have a deposit of twenty thousand at Baring's which I will willingly risk upon it."

  “我说赌就赌,”安得露·斯图阿特回答说,“决不是说着玩的。”“好!”福克说着转过身来,对其他几位牌友说,“我有两万英镑在巴林氏兄弟那里,我情愿拿来打赌!……”

   "Twenty thousand pounds!" cried Sullivan. "Twenty thousand pounds, which you would lose by a single accidental delay!"

  “两万镑!”约翰·苏里万叫起来,说,“要是一步没预料到,回来迟了,两万镑就没有了!”

   "The unforeseen does not exist," quietly replied Phileas Fogg.

  “根本没有预料不到的事,”福克简单地回答说。

  “可是,福克先生,八十天的时间是顶起码的呀!”

   "A well-used minimum suffices for everything."

  “顶少的时间,只要好好利用,就能够解决问题。”

   "But, in order not to exceed it, you must jump mathematically from the trains upon the steamers, and from the steamers upon the trains again."

  “要想不超过八十天,必须极准确地一下火车马上就上船,一下船马上又上火车才行啊!”

   "I will jump--mathematically."

  “我会准确地掌握。”

   "You are joking."

  “这简直是开玩笑!”

  “一个体面的英国人,打赌也象干正经事一样,是绝不开玩笑的,”福克回答说。“我准在八十天内,甚至不用八十天就绕地球一周,也就是说,花一千九百二十小时或者说花十一万五千二百分钟绕地球一周,谁愿意来打赌,我就跟他赌两万英镑。你们来吗?”

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·八十天环绕地球 - 第4节