名著·八十天环绕地球 - 第8节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  “除非他是个很有办法的贼。您知道,一个英国罪犯躲在伦敦,总比跑到国外去要好得多。”

   This observation furnished the detective food for thought, and meanwhile the consul went away to his office. Fix, left alone, was more impatient than ever, having a presentiment that the robber was on board the Mongolia. If he had indeed left London intending to reach the New World, he would naturally take the route via India, which was less watched and more difficult to watch than that of the Atlantic. But Fix's reflections were soon interrupted by a succession of sharp whistles, which announced the arrival of the Mongolia. The porters and fellahs rushed down the quay, and a dozen boats pushed off from the shore to go and meet the steamer. Soon her gigantic hull appeared passing along between the banks, and eleven o'clock struck as she anchored in the road. She brought an unusual number of passengers, some of whom remained on deck to scan the picturesque panorama of the town, while the greater part disembarked in the boats, and landed on the quay.

  领事说完这话就回到离此不远的领事馆去了。这两句话使费克斯盘算了老半天。他独自留在这里,心里感到十分烦躁和不安。但是,他同时又有一种颇为奇怪的预感,他觉得这个贼,准在蒙古号上。的确,假若这个坏蛋离开英国是想到美洲去的话,那么从印度走是一条理想的路线,因为在这条路线上警探的监视比在大西洋那条路线上要松得多,再说,即使监视的话,也比较困难。事实并没叫费克斯长期陷于沉思的苦境。一阵汽笛的尖叫声宣告轮船就要到了。成群的搬运夫和苦力都急急忙忙地跑上了码头。这股乱劲儿简直叫人为旅客们的手脚和衣服有点担心。转眼之间已经看到庞大的蒙古号在运河里直向码头开过来。十一点正,蒙古号一面从排汽管噗噗地冒出蒸气,一面就在这烟雾弥漫的港湾里抛了锚。船上旅客相当多。有些旅客站在甲板上眺望着全城美丽如画的景色。但大多数旅客都上了那些靠在蒙古号旁边的接旅客登岸的小驳船。

   Fix took up a position, and carefully examined each face and figure which made its appearance. Presently one of the passengers, after vigorously pushing his way through the importunate crowd of porters, came up to him and politely asked if he could point out the English consulate, at the same time showing a passport which he wished to have visaed. Fix instinctively took the passport, and with a rapid glance read the description of its bearer. An involuntary motion of surprise nearly escaped him, for the description in the passport was identical with that of the bank robber which he had received from Scotland Yard.

  费克斯打量着每一位上岸的旅客。这时,有一位旅客,使劲推开了那些要替他搬东西的苦力,然后走到了费克斯的面前,很客气地问费克斯能不能告诉他英国领事馆的地址,同时拿出了一张护照,显然,他是要找英国领事办理签证手续。费克斯不自觉地顺手接过护照,一下子就把护照上的一切看得清清楚楚。他差一点没有高兴得露出马脚来。那张护照在他的手里直抖。原来护照上关于执照人的一切记载,跟他从首都警察局长那里收到的那份材料完全一样。

   "Is this your passport?" asked he.

  “这张护照不是您的吧?”费克斯向这位旅客说。

   "No, it's my master's."

  “不是我的,是我主人的。”

  “您的主人呢?”

   "He stayed on board."

  “他还在船上。”

   "But he must go to the consul's in person, so as to establish his identity."

  “不过,”侦探接着说,“办理签证手续,一定要亲自到领事馆才行。”

   "Oh, is that necessary?"

  “怎么,非得那样不行吗?”

   "Quite indispensable."

  “非得这么办。”

  “那么,领事馆在哪儿?”

   "There, on the corner of the square," said Fix, pointing to a house two hundred steps off.

  “在那儿,就在那个广场边上。”侦探指着两百步开外的那所房子说。

   "I'll go and fetch my master, who won't be much pleased, however, to be disturbed."

  “那么好吧,我找我主人去。你要知道,他是个什么事都嫌麻烦的人。”

   The passenger bowed to Fix, and returned to the steamer.

  说完这句话,这位旅客向费克斯点了点头就回船去了。

   The detective passed down the quay, and rapidly made his way to the consul's office, where he was at once admitted to the presence of that official.

  费克斯离开了码头,急忙跑向领事馆。因为他说有急事,所以领事就马上接见了他。

  “领事先生,”费克斯第一句话就谈上本题,“我早就料到这个贼会在蒙古号上。”接着,费克斯就把他刚才怎么看见一个仆人,以及关于那张护照的事说了一遍。

   "Well, Mr. Fix," replied the consul, "I shall not be sorry to see the rascal's face; but perhaps he won't come here--that is, if he is the person you suppose him to be. A robber doesn't quite like to leave traces of his flight behind him; and, besides, he is not obliged to have his passport countersigned."

  “好吧!费克斯先生,我倒是很愿意见见这个家伙。不过,他要真是您所料想的那个贼,我怕他就不会上我这儿来了。小偷走道儿是不爱在路上留下脚印的。再说,旅客在护照上签证,现在已经不是必要的手续了。”

   "If he is as shrewd as I think he is, consul, he will come."

  “领事先生,”费克斯回答说,“我们应该考虑到,如果他真是个厉害的家伙,他一定会来!”

   "To have his passport visaed?"

  “上我这儿来办理签证手续吗?”

   "Yes. Passports are only good for annoying honest folks, and aiding in the flight of rogues. I assure you it will be quite the thing for him to do; but I hope you will not visa the passport."

  “是的,护照这玩意儿一向是这样一种东西!正人君子带着它就嫌麻烦,而强盗带着它就便于逃跑。我敢断定他的护照不会有问题,但我很希望您别给他签证……”

  “为什么?”领事回答说,“如果护照没问题,我是无权拒绝签证的。”

   "Still, I must keep this man here until I can get a warrant to arrest him from London."

  “可是,领事先生,我需要把这个人留在这儿,等我接到伦敦的拘票,好逮捕他。”

   "Ah, that's your look-out. But I cannot--"

  “哦,费克斯先生,这是您自己的事,”领事回答说,“至于我,我可不能……”

   The consul did not finish his sentence, for as he spoke a knock was heard at the door, and two strangers entered, one of whom was the servant whom Fix had met on the quay. The other, who was his master, held out his passport with the request that the consul would do him the favour to visa it. The consul took the document and carefully read it, whilst Fix observed, or rather devoured, the stranger with his eyes from a corner of the room.

  领事的话还没说完,就听见有人在敲办公室的门,听差的带进来两位客人,其中一位正是刚才跟费克斯谈话的那个仆人。真的是他们主仆二人一齐来了。主人拿出护照,很简单地说请领事签证。领事接过护照,仔仔细细地看了上面的记载,这时,坐在角落里的费克斯一直在打量着,甚至可以说是死盯着这位客人。

   "You are Mr. Phileas Fogg?" said the consul, after reading the passport.

  “您是斐利亚·福克先生吗?”领事看完护照问道。

  “是的,先生。”绅士回答说。

   "And this man is your servant?"

  “这位是您的仆人?”

   "He is: a Frenchman, named Passepartout."

  “是的,他是法国人,叫路路通。”

   "You are from London?"

  “您是从伦敦来的?”

   "Yes."

  “是的。”

  “您是去……?”

   "To Bombay."

  “去孟买。”

   "Very good, sir. You know that a visa is useless, and that no passport is required?"

  “好吧,先生。可是,这种签证的手续现在一点用处也没有了,我们也并不要求您呈验护照,这个您明白吗?”

   "I know it, sir," replied Phileas Fogg; "but I wish to prove, by your visa, that I came by Suez."

  “我知道,领事先生,”斐利亚·福克回答说,“但是,我是要用您的签证证明我曾经路过苏伊士。”

   "Very well, sir."

  “好吧,先生。”

  领事在护照上签完字,注了日期,并且盖了印。福克付了签证费,向领事简单地打了个招呼,就带着仆人走了。

   "Well?" queried the detective.

  “怎么样?”侦探问。

   "Well, he looks and acts like a perfectly honest man," replied the consul.

  “不怎么样,”领事回答说,“看样子是个地地道道的正人君子!”

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·八十天环绕地球 - 第8节