名著·查太莱夫人的情人 - 第84节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  他在那毛丛里添了一朵粉红色的野蝴蝶花的花蕾。

   'There! That's me where you won't forget me! That's Moses in the bull-rushes.' "

  那儿!那代表我,站在您这毋忘我的地方!那是荒苇丛中的摩西。"

   'You don't mind, do you, that I'm going away?' she asked wistfully, looking up into his face. "

  我要离开你了,你不反对罢,是不是?"她不安地问道,仰望着他的脸。

   But his face was inscrutable, under the heavy brows. He kept it quite blank.

  在那沉重的两眉下面,他的脸是失神的,不可思仪的。

   'You do as you wish,' he said. "

  你有你的自由。"他说。

  他说起正确的英语来了。

   'But I won't go if you don't wish it,' she said, clinging to him. "

  但是假如你不愿意我走的话,我便不走好了。"她紧依着他说。

   There was silence. He leaned and put another piece of wood on the fire. The flame glowed on his silent, abstracted face. She waited, but he said nothing.

  两人静默了。他俯着身在火上添了一块柴。火焰光耀着他静默而沉思的脸孔。她等着,但是他不说什么。

   'Only I thought it would be a good way to begin a break with Clifford. I do want a child. And it would give me a chance to, to---,' she resumed. "

  不地这,我觉得那便是和克利福断绝的第一步。罗真想有个孩子。那给我一个机会去,去……"她正要说下去。

   'To let them think a few lies,' he said. "

  去使我们相信一些谎话。"他说。

  是的,那也是事情的一种。难道你要他们知道真话么?"

   'I don't care what they think.' "

  他们相信什么我是不关心的。"

   'I do! I don't want them handling me with their unpleasant cold minds, not while I'm still at Wragby. They can think what they like when I'm finally gone.' "

  我却不然!我不愿创作他们用冰冷的心肠来对待我;至少是当我还在勒格贝的时候,当我决绝地走开了的时候,他们爱怎么想便可以怎么想了。"

   He was silent.

  他静默着。

   'But Sir Clifford expects you to come back to him?' "

  但是克利福男爵希望你一定要回来的么?"

  啊,我得回来的。"她说,两人又静默起来。

   'And would you have a child in Wragby?' he asked. "

  孩子呢,在勒格贝生么?"他问道。

   She closed her arm round his neck.

  她的手臂紧揽着他的颈项。

   'If you wouldn't take me away, I should have to,' she said. "

  假如你不愿带我走的话,便不得不了。"她说。

   'Take you where to?' "

  带你到哪儿去呢?"

  哪儿都好!只要远远地远远地离开勒格贝。"

   'When?' "

  什么时候?"

   'Why, when I come back.' "

  怎么、当我回来的时候呀。"

   'But what's the good of coming back, doing the thing twice, if you're once gone?' he said. "

  但是你走了何必又回来呢?何必一件事分两次做呢?"他说。

   'Oh, I must come back. I've promised! I've promised so faithfully. Besides, I come back to you, really.'

  啊,我得回来的。我已经答应过了!我已经忠诚地答应过了。不过,其实我是为了你而回来的。"

  为了你的丈夫的守猎人而回来?"

   'I don't see that that matters,' she said. "

  那又有什么关系呢?"她说。

   'No?' He mused a while. 'And when would you think of going away again, then; finally? When exactly?' "

  真的?"他沉思了一会,"那么你想什么时候决然再走呢?确定一个日子。"

   'Oh, I don't know. I'd come back from Venice. And then we'd prepare everything.' "

  啊,我不知道,当我从威尼期回来以后,我们再准备一切。"

   'How prepare?' "

  怎样准备!"

  啊,我将一切都告诉克利福。我不得不告诉他。"

   'Would you!' "

  真的!"

   He remained silent. She put her arms round his neck.

  他静默的。她的两臂紧紧地环抱着他的颈项。

   'Don't make it difficult for me,' she pleaded. "

  不要把事情弄得使我为难吧!"她恳求道。

   'Make what difficult?' "

  把什么事情弄得使你为难?"

  我得动身到威尼斯去和以后应该安排的事情。"

   A little smile, half a grin, flickered on his face.

  他的脸上露着一种半苦笑的微笑。

   'I don't make it difficult,' he said. 'I only want to find out just what you are after. But you don't really know yourself. You want to take time: get away and look at it. I don't blame you. I think you're wise. You may prefer to stay mistress of Wragby. I don't blame you. I've no Wragbys to offer. In fact, you know what you'll get out of me. No, no, I think you're right! I really do! And I'm not keen on coming to live on you, being kept by you. There's that too.' "

  我不会把事情弄得使你为难的。"他说,"我只想知道你究竟抱的什么目的。可是你自己实际上也不知道。你只想延迟一下。走到远处去把事情端详一下。我并不责备炼,我相信这是聪明的手段。你尽可以依旧做勒贝的主妇。我并不责备你的,我没有勒格贝来呈献给你。事实上,你知道我有什么东西好给你的。不,不,我相信你是对的!我实在相信你是对的!并且我是毫不想靠你生活,受你给养的。这也是得考虑的一件事。"

   She felt somehow as if he were giving her tit for tat.

  她不知道怎样,觉得他是报复似的。

   'But you want me, don't you?' she asked. "

  但是你要我,是不是?"她问道。

  你呢?你要不要我?"

   'You know I do. That's evident.' "

  你知道那是不用说的。"

   'Quite! And when do you want me?' "

  好!你什么时候要我?"

   'You know we can arrange it all when I come back. Now I'm out of breath with you. I must get calm and clear.' "

  你知道等我回来以后,我们便可以计划那一切的。现在我什么也说不上。我得镇静一下,清理一下。"

   'Quite! Get calm and clear!' "

  好!镇静你的清理你的去吧!,!

  她有时恼怒起来。

   'But you trust me, don't you?' she said. "

  但是你信任我吧,是不是?"她说。

   'Oh, absolutely!' "

  啊,绝对地!"

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·查太莱夫人的情人 - 第84节