名著·茶花女 - 第31节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  “我给她带来了一个好消息。”

   'That's all right then. So she's talked to you about me?'

  “那倒不坏,那么她真的对您谈到过我了吗?”

   'Yesterday evening ?or rather last night, after you'd gone with your friend? By the way, how is your friend? It's Gaston R, I believe; isn't that what they call him?'

  “昨天晚上,还不如说是今天早上,在您和您的朋友走了以后……喂,您那位朋友为人怎么样?他的名字叫R·加斯东吧?”

   'Yes, ' I said, unable to stop myself smiling as I remembered what Gaston had confided to me, and realized that Prudence hardly knew his name.

  “是呀,”我说,想到加斯东对我说的知心话,又看到普律当丝几乎连他的名字也不知道,真使我不禁要笑出来。

   'He's a very nice boy. What does he do?'

  “这个小伙子很可爱,他是干什么的?”

  “他有两万五千法郎年金。”

   'Oh! Really? Well anyhow, coming back to you, Marguerite asked me a lot of questions about you. She asked who you were, what you did, what mistresses you'd had, everything, really, that can be asked about a man of your age. I told her all I know, and said that you were a very nice boy, and that's about it.'

  “啊!真的!好吧,现在还是谈谈您的事,玛格丽特向我打听您的事,她问我您是什么人,做什么事,您从前那些情妇是些什么人;总之,对像您这样年纪的人应该打听的事她都打听到了。我们我知道的也全讲给她听,还加了一句,说您是一个可爱的小伙子,就是这些。”

   'I'm grateful. Now, tell me what was this errand she sent you on yesterday?'

  “谢谢您,现在请您告诉我她昨天托您办的事吧。”

   'There wasn't one. What she said was intended to make the Count go away. But she did ask me to do something for her today, and I've brought her the answer tonight.'

  “昨天她什么事也没有托我办,她只是说要把伯爵撵走,但是今天她要我办一件事,今天晚上我就是来告诉她回音的。”

   Just then, Marguerite emerged from her dressing-room, daintily wearing a night-cap decorated with bunches of yellow ribbons, known in the trade as cabbage-bows.

  讲到这里,玛格丽特从梳妆间走了出来,娇媚地戴着一顶睡帽,帽上缀着一束黄色的缎带,内行人把这种装饰叫做甘兰式缎结。

  她这副模样非常动人。

   On her bare feet she was wearing satin slippers, and she was finishing her nails.

  她光脚趿着缎子拖鞋,还在擦着指甲。

   'Well?' she said, when she saw Prudence, 'did you see the Duke?'

  “喂,”看到普律当丝她说道,“您见到公爵了吗?”

   'Of course!'

  “当然见到啦!”

   'What did he say?'

  “他对您说什么啦?”

  “他给我了。”

   'How much?'

  “多少?”

   'Six thousand.'

  “六千。”

   'Have you got it?'

  “您带来了吗?”

   'Yes.'

  “带来了。”

  “他是不是有些不高兴?”

   'No.'

  “没有。”

   'Poor man!'

  “可怜的人!”

   The way she said ' Poor man!' is impossible to render. Marguerite took the six one-thousand-franc notes.

  讲这句“可怜的人!”的语气真是难以形容。玛格丽特接过六张一千法郎的钞票。

   'And not before time, ' she said. 'My dear Prudence, do you need any money?'

  “来得正是时候,”她说,“亲爱的普律当丝,您要钱用吗?”

  “您知道,我的孩子,再过两天就是十五号,如果您能借我三四百法郎,您就帮了我的大忙啦。”

   'Send round for it tomorrow morning, it's too late to get change now.'

  “明天上午叫人来取吧,现在去兑钱时间太晚了。”

   'Don't forget.'

  “可别忘了呀。”

   'No need to worry. Are you going to have supper with us?'

  “放心好了,您跟我们一起吃夜宵吗?”

   'No, Charles is waiting in my apartment.'

  “不了,夏尔在家里等着我。”

  “他把您迷住了吗?”

   'Quite crazy, my dear! I'll see you tomorrow. Goodbye, Armand.'

  “真迷疯啦,亲爱的!明天见。再见了,阿尔芒。”

   Madame Duvernoy left.

  迪韦尔诺瓦夫人走了。

   Marguerite opened her china- cabinet and tossed the banknotes inside.

  玛格丽特打开她的多层架,把钞票扔了进去。

   'You don't mind if I lie down?' she said, smiling and making for her bed.

  “您允许我躺下吗?”她微笑着说,一面向床边走去。

  “我不但允许,而且还请求您这样做。”

   She threw the counterpane over the foot of the bed and climbed between the sheets.

  她把铺在床上的镶着镂空花边的床罩拉向床脚边就躺下了。

   'Now, ' she said, 'come and sit by me and we'll talk.'

  “现在,”她说,“过来坐在我身边,我们谈谈吧。”

   Prudence was right: the answer she had brought Marguerite brightened her mood.

  普律当丝说得对,她带来的回音使玛格丽特高兴起来了。

   'Will you forgive me for being bad- tempered this evening?' she said, taking my hand.

  “今天晚上我脾气不好,您能原谅我吗?”她拉着我的手说。

  “我什么都可以原谅您。”

   'And you love me?'

  “您爱我吗?”

   'To distraction.'

  “爱得发疯。”

   'In spite of my awful temper?'

  “我脾气不好,您也爱我吗?”

   'In spite of everything.'

  “无论如何我都爱。”

  “您向我起誓!”

   'Yes, ' I whispered to her.

  “我起誓,”我柔声对她说。

   Nanine came in then, carrying plates, a cold chicken, a bottle of bordeaux, strawberries and cutlery and glasses for two.

  这时候纳尼娜进来了,她拿来几只盘子,一只熟鸡,一瓶波尔多葡萄酒,一些草莓和两副刀叉。

   'I didn't get any punch made up, ' Nanine said, 'the bordeaux will do you better. Isn't that right, sir?'

  “我没有关照给您调潘趣酒,”纳尼娜说,“您最好还是喝葡萄酒。是不是,先生?”

   'Quite right, ' I answered, still deeply moved by Marguerite's last words, and with my eyes fixed ardently on her.

  “当然罗,”我回答说,我刚才听了玛格丽特那几句话,激动的心情还没有平静下来,火辣辣的眼睛凝望着她。

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·茶花女 - 第31节