句子·走遍美国 - unit 情景四十二


目 录 上一节 下一节

  这么晚了你还没睡在做什么

   Reading.

  读书。

   Reading?

  读书

   At this hour?

  在这个时候

   Ah, come on, Robbie.

  噢 算了吧 Robbie。

  这么晚你不睡在 什么

   Things on my mind.

  想一些事情。

   Do you care to talk about them?

  你想谈谈它们吗

   Sure,

  当然

   if you don't mind listening.

  假如 不介意听的话。

  记得我吗

   I'm your mother.

  我是你母亲。

   If you have something you want to talk about,

  假如你有什么事情要谈

   I'm always prepared to listen.

  我总是准备听的。

   You haven't been around much lately.

  最近 在家的时候不多。

  原来是这件事。

   OK, let's talk.

  好 让我们谈谈。

   You and Dad are like ships that pass in the night.

  和爸爸就像在夜 交错而过的船一样。

   Dad works hard, and he works late.

  爸爸工作忙 而且忙到很晚。

   You work hard on all your committees,

  而 总是在各种委员会 忙

  也工作到很晚。

   I thought you were proud of the work I do.

  我还以为你为我所做的工作感到骄傲。

   I am, Mom.

  我确实感到骄傲 妈妈。

   Real proud.

  真的骄傲。

   You are one fantastic mom,

  是一位好母亲。

  但……但我注意到

   how little quality time

  高品质时光太少了

   you spend with Dad and me ... and the family.

  和父亲 我及全家人共度的。

   It's a real problem, Robbie.

  这确实是个问题 Robbie。

   I know it.

  我知道。

  我很担心。

   There must be a way

  总该有个办法

   that Dad and you can spend more time together.

  能使 和爸爸有更多的时间在一起。

   Well, we always talk about

  说的也是 我们常在谈论

   taking a vacation together--with the family.

  要一起渡个假 全家一起。

  我觉得 们应该

   take a vacation away from the family--alone.

  离开家人而单独在一起渡个假。

   Kind of a second honeymoon.

  类似二度蜜月的假期。

   It would be wonderful,

  那倒是很美妙

   but our schedules won't allow it.

  但我们的工作时间表不允许这样。

  我有一个主意。

   You do?

  真的

   Yup.

  是的。

   I think I have an idea

  我想我有一个办法

   that will bring Dad and you

  使 和爸爸

  能更定时在一起。

   What is it?

  是什么主意

   Well,

  噢

   you know how Dad is always talking about

  知道爸爸时常谈起

   the kids in the ward

  住院的孩子们

  以及他们何等需要受人关怀吧

   Yes.

  是的。

   Well ...

  好……

   and how hard it is

  他还说这件事很难

   because the doctors and nurses are so busy?

  因为医生和护士们都非常忙

  是的。

   Well, how would it be if you took some time

  好 那 花些时间

   to work with Dad towards solving that problem?

  和爸爸一起来解决这个问题怎么样

   I don't get it.

  我不懂你的话。

   Like setting up a regular weekly reading program.

  譬如说开办一项每 一次的定期阅读计划。

  和爸爸。

   You and Dr. Philip Stewart--

  和Philip Stewart医生

   going to the children's ward once or twice a week

  每星期就去小儿科病房一 两次

   and reading to them.

  为他们朗读。

   Not bad.

  不错。

  蛮好的主意 Robbie。

   As a matter of fact,

  事实上

   it fits right in with something I'm working on right now

  这跟我正在进行的某项小组工作不谋而合

   with the school-board committee.

  与联合校董会有关。

   What's that?

  什么样的工作

  我一直努力

   to work out a program

  想研拟一项计划

   in the public school

  在公立学校中

   that will bring parents and teachers together once a week

  让家长们及教师每星期一次

   to read to the students--their own children, really.

  共同为学生们 其实就是他们自己的孩子 朗读

  这样做能鼓励阅读。

   So it might fit in with a program

  这个跟计划相当吻合

   for reading to the kids in the hospital.

  为住院的孩子朗读。

   You're right.

  你说得对。

   We'll do it!

  我们就来进行吧

  我现在就去跟爸爸谈谈这件事。

   But Dad was so exhausted when he came home from work.

  但爸爸工作回来时已经累得不得了了。

   Why don't you talk to him about it tomorrow?

  何不明天再跟他谈

   You are a very smart young man, Robbie.

  你是个绝顶聪明的年轻人 Robbie。

   I think I'll wait until tomorrow.

  我想我就等明天再谈。

  不会忘记吧

   Believe me, I won't.

  放心 我不会的。

   It is a great idea,

  这是个极好的主意。

   and I promise you I won't forget.

  我向你保证 我不会忘的。

   Thanks, Mom.

  谢谢 妈妈。

  谢谢你 Robbie。

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


句子·走遍美国 - unit 情景四十二