句子·走遍美国 - unit 情景四十八


目 录 上一节 下一节

  有一个办法 Malcolm。

   We get our friends to roll their sleeves up and get to work.

  我们召集我们的朋友共同 起袖子来做。

   It's certainly a good idea.

  这的确是个好主意。

   If I could take a look at the place,

  假如我能看看那个地方的话

   I could probably tell what it requires to fix it up.

  我大致能说出修复它需要些什么。

  多少油漆 多少小时的工作量……

   That's what I came to ask you to do, Malcolm.

  这正是我来请你做的 Malcolm。

   If you would supervise the refurbishing,

  假如你能监督整修过程

   I'll find the people to help do it.

  我可以找人来帮忙。

   I'll help too, Mr. Baker.

  我也要帮忙 Baker先生。

  我可以叫我的朋友们在这社区

   and collect the furniture we need.

  募集我们需要的家具 。

   I'll help.

  我也来帮忙。

   Tomorrow. Yes. We'll meet tomorrow morning, right here.

  明天。对 我们明天早晨会面 就在这儿。

   Can we help?

  我们可以帮忙吗

  我真的希望帮忙。

   Sure.

  当然。

   We might need you to come through with your friends, Robbie.

  我们也许需要你们多邀朋友来帮忙 Robbie。

   Not just to go around the neighborhood asking for furniture,

  不仅在这社区募家具

   but to help with the paint job.

  还要帮忙粉刷。

  这可是累人的工作 我们可能负荷不了。

   I'll do it. I'll talk to them.

  我来做 我去跟他们谈一谈。

   And tomorrow morning we'll all meet here to discuss the plan?

  是不是明天早晨我们都聚到这 来讨论整修计划

   Tomorrow morning it is.

  确定是明天早晨。

   Come in, come in. Please, come in.

  请进 请进。请进来。

  我来为 介绍我的朋友Malcolm Stewart。

   Malcolm, this is Joanne Thompson. Malcolm

  这是Joanne Thompson。

   Hello, Joanne. Nice to meet you.

  好 Joanne。很高兴见到 。

   My pleasure, Malcolm.

  我也很荣幸 Malcolm。

   And this is Abe Lucas. You must remember Abe.

  这是Abe Lucas。你一定记得Abe。

  他经营药房

   and used to play drums with the jazz band on weekends.

  末还经常在爵士乐队中打鼓。

   Oh, sure I do. Hi, Abe.

  噢 我当然记得。嗨 Abe。

   Hello, Mr. Stewart.

  哈 Stewart先生。

   Malcolm, please.

  请叫我Malcolm吧。

  哈 Malcolm。

   Sit down, sit down. Have some coffee.

  请坐 请坐。喝点咖啡。

   And I've got some delicious Danish pastry for you.

  我为你们准备了一些可口的丹麦点心。

   Where's your grandson Robbie and his friend Alexandra?

  你的孙子Robbie和他的朋友Alexandra呢

   Weren't they going to be here this morning?

  他们不是今天早上要来这儿吗

  我也这样想。

   I'm surprised they're not here.

  我奇怪他们怎么没来。

   Robbie left early this morning to meet Alexandra. Robbie

  早上很早出去接Alexandra。

   Frankly, I thought they'd be here, but ...

  老实说 我原以为他们会在这儿 但……

   It's OK. I'm sure they meant well,

  没有关 。我敢说他们有心帮忙

  但他们也许还有其他的事想要做。

   I understand you used to be in the construction business,

  听说你过去从事营造业

   Malcolm. Malcolm

  。

   I was, indeed.

  的确如此。

   I wonder if you would take a look at the old library

  我不知道你是否可以看一看旧图书馆

  确定它状 良好

   so that we don't have to worry about any structural problems.

  我们就可以不用担心任何结构上的问题。

   When can I do that? I'd be happy to.

  我什么时候可以去看 我很乐意做这项工作。

   We've got permission to go inside the old building

  我们已获 进入那栋老建筑物

   during the week--

  在本 内

  星期二或者星期三。

   That's fine with me. I can do it either day.

  对我来说时间很适合。两天中哪一天我都可以。

   That would be very helpful.

  你这样做帮忙可大噢。

   I think the building just needs a good cleaning.

  我想那座建筑只需要好好地打扫一下。

   And a good paint job.

  还需要好好的粉刷。

  然後我们还得装潢摆设。

   I wish Robbie and Alexandra had come to this meeting.

  我真希望Robbie和Alexandra已经来参加开会。

   They had some ideas about getting the place fixed up.

  他们对於怎么样修复这个地方有些构想。

   Perhaps they'll show up. In the meantime,

  也许他们会露面。在这等待期间

   let me give you some additional thoughts and ideas I have.

  让我提出一些另外的想法。

  好。

   Go ahead, Joanne.

  请讲吧 Joanne。

   As I said, mostly the building just needs a good cleaning.

  就像我先前所说的 这栋建筑物大部份仅需要好好打扫一下

   This place can be developed

  我们可以拓展这个地方

   with one real intergenerational program.

  用一套真正跨辈份的活动。

  我喜欢这样的主意。

   A community center

  一个社区中心

   with the kinds of programs that fit everyone.

  拥有适合任何人的各式活动。

   And programs that don't leave anyone out.

  而且是些不排拒任何人的活动。

   It's asking a lot.

  那需要做许多工作。

  但我们不能在没有跟年轻人谈谈的情 下就去做。

   Finding out what they want.

  得看看他们想要什么。

   If only Robbie and Alexandra were here.

  要是Robbie和Alexandra在这儿多好。

   Don't be upset, Malcolm.

  别懊恼了 Malcolm。

   We'll have a chance to talk to them later.

  我们以後还有机会跟他们谈。

  这不像是Robbie的作为。

   If he says he's going to be here, he's here.

  假如他说他要来这儿 他就一定会来。

   I wonder what the problem is.

  我不知道发生了什么问题。

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


句子·走遍美国 - unit 情景四十八