名著·查太莱夫人的情人 - 第105节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  不!我决不以为他们会相信的。"

   'Did Clifford?' "

  克利福呢?"

   'I should say not. He put it off without thinking about it. But naturally it made him want to see the last of me.' "

  我想他也不,他把事情搁在一边不去想它,但是,当然,那使他永不愿再见我的面了。"

   'I'm going to have a child.' "

  我就要有个孩子了。"

   The expression died utterly out of his face, out of his whole body. He looked at her with darkened eyes, whose look she could not understand at all: like some dark-flamed spirit looking at her.

  他脸上的、全身的表情全死了,他两只阴郁的眼睛望着她,这种注视是使她莫明其妙的:这象是一种火焰的灵魂在望着她。

  告诉我你高兴吧!"她握着他的手恳求道。她看见某种得胜的狂喜,从他的心里流溢出来,但是这种狂喜是给一种她所不明白的东西网结着的。

   'It's the future,' he said. "

  那是个将来。"他说。

   'But aren't you glad?' she persisted. "

  难道你不高兴么?"她坚持着说。

   'I have such a terrible mistrust of the future.' "

  我是很不信任将来的。"

   'But you needn't be troubled by any responsibility. Clifford would have it as his own, he'd be glad.' "

  但是你不必烦恼要负什么责任的,克利福将接受这个孩子如同已出一般,他一定要高兴的。"

  她看见他听了这个话苍白在而退缩起来,他不答一词。

   'Shall I go back to Clifford and put a little baronet into Wragby?' she asked. "

  你要我回到克利福那里去,而给勒格贝生个小男婴么?"她问道。

   He looked at her, pale and very remote. The ugly little grin flickered on his face.

  他望着她,又苍白又疏远,那狞恶的微微的苦笑挂在他的脸上。

   'You wouldn't have to tell him who the father was?' "

  你不必告诉他谁是父亲吧!"

   'Oh!' she said; 'he'd take it even then, if I wanted him to.' "

  啊!"她说,甚至我告诉他,他也要接受这个孩子的。"

  他思索了一会。

   'Ay!' he said at last, to himself. 'I suppose he would.' "

  是的!"他最后自言自语地说,他也要的。"

   There was silence. A big gulf was between them.

  他们静默着,他们中间好象有个阔大的深渊似的。

   'But you don't want me to go back to Clifford, do you?' she asked him. "

  但是你不愿我回克利福那儿去吧,是不是?"她问他说。

   'What do you want yourself?' he replied. "

  你自己愿意怎样呢?"

  我愿和你同居。"她简单地说。

   In spite of himself, little flames ran over his belly as he heard her say it, and he dropped his head. Then he looked up at her again, with those haunted eyes.

  他听了这话,情不自禁地觉得一些小火焰在他的小腹上奔驰而过,他把头垂下了,然后用他那阴郁的眼睛再望着她。

   'If it's worth it to you,' he said. 'I've got nothing.' "

  要是你觉得值得的话。"他说,"我是毫无所有的人。"

   'You've got more than most men. Come, you know it,' she said. "

  你有的东西比大多数的男子更多,算了,你自己是知道的。"她说。

   'In one way, I know it.' He was silent for a time, thinking. Then he resumed: 'They used to say I had too much of the woman in me. But it's not that. I'm not a woman not because I don't want to shoot birds, neither because I don't want to make money, or get on. I could have got on in the army, easily, but I didn't like the army. Though I could manage the men all right: they liked me and they had a bit of a holy fear of me when I got mad. No, it was stupid, dead-handed higher authority that made the army dead: absolutely fool-dead. I like men, and men like me. But I can't stand the twaddling bossy impudence of the people who run this world. That's why I can't get on. I hate the impudence of money, and I hate the impudence of class. So in the world as it is, what have I to offer a woman?' "

  是的,在某种程度上我是知道的。"他静思了一会,然后继续说:"人家一向说我的女性太浓了,但是这话是不真实的,我不女性并不因为我不喜欢射杀鸟儿,也不是因为我不喜欢弄钱或不喜欢往上爬。我在军队里要往上爬本来是很容易的,但是我却不喜欢军队,虽然我很可以驾驭男子们,他们也喜欢我,而当我发起脾气来的时候,他们便要怕神怕鬼似的怕我。咳,军队之所以是个死东西,绝对地呆笨的死东西,就是那愚昧的、机械的、上峰的权威所造成的。我喜欢男子们,而男子们也喜欢我,但是我就忍受不了那班经营这世界的人们的呓语和摆嗅架子的无耻。这便是我不能上进的缘故,我恨金钱的无耻行为,我恨阶级的无耻行为,在这种世界里,我还有什么可以献给一个女子的东西?"

  但是为什么要献给什么东西呢?那又不是一个交易,我们不过是互相钟爱罢了。"她说。

   'Nay, nay! It's more than that. Living is moving and moving on. My life won't go down the proper gutters, it just won't. So I'm a bit of a waste ticket by myself. And I've no business to take a woman into my life, unless my life does something and gets somewhere, inwardly at least, to keep us both fresh. A man must offer a woman some meaning in his life, if it's going to be an isolated life, and if she's a genuine woman. I can't be just your male concubine.' "

  不!不!事情不是这么简单的,生活便是前进,我的生命不愿就适当的轨道,简直不愿。所以我是有点象废物似的,我没有权利使一个女子进入我的生活,除非我的生活有所作为有所成就一至少是内在地,能使我们俩常觉新鲜奋发。男子应该把他生活中的下结有意及的东西献给女子,假如这个生活将是孤立的,假如这个女子是个真庄女子!我不能只做你的男性拼妇。"

   'Why not?' she said. "

  为什么不呢?"她说。

   'Why, because I can't. And you would soon hate it.' "

  咳,因为我不能,而且你转眼便要厌恨这种生活的。"

   'As if you couldn't trust me,' she said. "

  你这话说得好象你不能信赖我似的。"她说。

  他苦笑丰。

   'The money is yours, the position is yours, the decisions will lie with you. I'm not just my Lady's fucker, after all.' "

  钱是你的,社会地位是你的,一切将由你主决,。总之,我只是太太的内满足者罢了。"

   'What else are you?' "

  此外你还是什么呢?"

   'You may well ask. It no doubt is invisible. Yet I'm something to myself at least. I can see the point of my own existence, though I can quite understand nobody else's seeing it.' "

  我不怪你疑问。无疑地那是看不见的。可是,我对于自己,并不妄自轻贱。我明白我自己的生存的意义,虽然我也很了解旁人是不明白的。

   'And will your existence have less point, if you live with me?' "

  难道和我同居后,你的生存的意义便要减少了么?"

  他停了很久才答道:

   'It might.' "

  也许;"

   She too stayed to think about it.

  她也迟地思索着。

   'And what is the point of your existence?' "

  什么是你的生存的意义呢?"

   'I tell you, it's invisible. I don't believe in the world, not in money, nor in advancement, nor in the future of our civilization. If there's got to be a future for humanity, there'll have to be a very big change from what now is.' "

  我告诉你,那是看不见的。我不相信世界,我不相信金钱,我不相信进步,我不相信我们的文明的将来,假如人类是有个将来的话,那便得有个大大的变换。"

  那么真正的将来是怎样的呢?"

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·查太莱夫人的情人 - 第105节