名著·查太莱夫人的情人 - 第114节


目 录 上一节 下一节

  他沉默了一会。

   'But don't you see,' said Connie. 'I must go away from you, and I must live with the man I love.' "

  但是你不明白,"康妮说,"我一定要离开你,我一定要和我所爱的人生活去。"

   'No, I don't see it! I don't give tuppence for your love, nor for the man you love. I don't believe in that sort of cant.' "

  真的,我不明白!我毫不相信你的爱和你的爱人,我不相信这种胡言乱语。"

   'But you see, I do.' "

  也许,但是我确相信。"

   'Do you? My dear Madam, you are too intelligent, I assure you, to believe in your own love for Duncan Forbes. Believe me, even now you really care more for me. So why should I give in to such nonsense!' "

  是么?我亲爱的太太,你没有这么愚蠢去相信人对旦肯的爱情的。相信我吧,即在此刻,你还是比较爱我呢,那么为什么我要去相信这种荒唐的故事!"

  她觉得他的话是对的!她忍不住要对他和盘托出来了。

   'Because it isn't Duncan that I do love,' she said, looking up at him. "

  我真正爱的并不是旦肯。"她仰望着他说,

   'We only said it was Duncan, to spare your feelings.' "

  我们说是旦肯,为的是要不伤你的感情。"

   'To spare my feelings?' "

  不伤我的感情?

   'Yes! Because who I really love, and it'll make you hate me, is Mr Mellors, who was our game-keeper here.' "

  是的!因为我真正钟爱的人。是要使你憎恨我的,他是梅乐士先生,我们往日的守猎人。"

  假如他可以的话,他一定从椅子里跳出来了,他的脸色变黄了。他凝视着她,他的眼睛象大难临头似的突了出来。

   Then he dropped back in the chair, gasping and looking up at the ceiling.

  然后他倒在椅子里,喘着气,两眼朝着天花板。

   At length he sat up.

  然后.他坐了起来。

   'Do you mean to say you re telling me the truth?' he asked, looking gruesome. "

  你说的是真话么?"他样子很可怖地问道。

   'Yes! You know I am.' "

  是的,你知道我说的是真话。"

  那是什么时候开始的?"

   'In the spring.' "

  春天。"

   He was silent like some beast in a trap.

  他静默着,象一只坠入陷阱里的兽。

   'And it was you, then, in the bedroom at the cottage?' "

  以,在村舍寝室里的就是你么?"

   So he had really inwardly known all the time.

  原来他的内心里早就晓得了。

  是的!"

   He still leaned forward in his chair, gazing at her like a cornered beast.

  他依旧在他椅子里向前弯着身,象一只陷于绝境的野兽似地凝视着她。

   'My God, you ought to be wiped off the face of the earth!' "

  天哪!你这种人真应该人大地上歼灭!"

   'Why?' she ejaculated faintly. "

  为什么?"她喃喃地说。

   But he seemed not to hear.

  但是他好象没有听见她。

  那贱东西!那鲁莽下流!那卑鄙无赖!你在这儿的时候,竟和他发生了关系,和我的一个仆人发生关系!天!天哪!女人的下贱究竟有没有止境!"

   He was beside himself with rage, as she knew he would be.

  她愤怒极了,这是她所预料的。

   'And you mean to say you want to have a child to a cad like that?' "

  你竞要这么一个无赖的汉的孩子么?"

   'Yes! I'm going to.' "

  是的!我等待着。"

   'You're going to! You mean you're sure! How long have you been sure?' "

  你等待着!你的确相信么?从什么时候起你的确相信?"

  从六月起。"

   He was speechless, and the queer blank look of a child came over him again.

  他夫言了,他的样子又象个孩子那么惊异而失神了。

   'You'd wonder,' he said at last, 'that such beings were ever allowed to be born.' "

  真怪,"他最后说,"这么一种人也容许生在世上。"

   'What beings?' she asked. "

  什么一种人?"她问道。

   He looked at her weirdly, without an answer. It was obvious, he couldn't even accept the fact of the existence of Mellors, in any connexion with his own life. It was sheer, unspeakable, impotent hate.

  他神秘地望着她,没有回答。显然他不能承认梅乐士的存在,而与他没有任何关系,那是绝对的、不能言宣的、无力的憎恨。

  你有意要嫁他么?……接受他的秽名么?"他终于问道。

   'Yes, that's what I want.' "

  是的,那是我所欲望的。"

   He was again as if dumbfounded.

  他又目瞪口呆了。

   'Yes!' he said at last. 'That proves that what I've always thought about you is correct: you're not normal, you're not in your right senses. You're one of those half-insane, perverted women who must run after depravity, the nostalgie de la boue.' "

  是的!"那最后说,"那证明我一向对你的想法没有错;你是变态的,你是狂妄的,你是一种半癫狂的堕落女了,你一定要追逐污浊的东西,'没有烂泥便要发愁的'。"

   Suddenly he had become almost wistfully moral, seeing himself the incarnation of good, and people like Mellors and Connie the incarnation of mud, of evil. He seemed to be growing vague, inside a nimbus.

  突然,他差不多成为狂热的道德家了。他觉得自己是善的化身。而梅乐士、康妮这种人,是贱与恶的化身,他好象头上罩了圣光似的飘飘然了。

  那么,你还是离了婚把我丢弃了吧?"她说。

   'No! You can go where you like, but I shan't divorce you,' he said idiotically. "

  不!你要到那里去,你尽管去,但害我却不提出离婚。"他痴呆地说。

   'Why not?' "

  为什么不?"

   He was silent, in the silence of imbecile obstinacy.

  他静默着,象一个呆子似的,执锄地静默着。

   'Would you even let the child be legally yours, and your heir?' she said. "

  你竟要承认你这孩于是你的合法的孩子和继承人么?"她说。

  我毫不关心孩子么。"

目 录 上一节 下一节

分享本课给同学:

   

扫扫二维码

手机学英语


名著·查太莱夫人的情人 - 第114节